MobaXterm (windows terminal client)
Windows users are strongly recommended to connect to JASMIN using the freely available MobaXterm This article provides information about:
- Downloading and installing MobaXterm
- Basic usage
- Setting up MobAgent to store your private key
- Additional features
Downloading and installing MobaXterm
Download the free Home edition of MobaXterm.
There are 2 editions available:
- "Portable" edition (can be installed as a regular user)
- "Installer" edition (may need admin privileges on your machine)
Both editions should be functionally the same once installed, but your choice may depend on what level of access you have to your Windows machine.
Screen recording of install / setup process:
For the "portable" edition, the contents of the downloaded zip file should be extracted to a folder (eg. on your Windows desktop) where you can double-click the executable file "MobaXterm_Personal_xx.x" (where xx.x is the version number).
Note that the "CygUtils.plugin" file should remain in this folder as this is used for storing settings.
Once opened, MobaXterm presents a screen like this:
Click the "Start local terminal" button to open a terminal window where you can type Linux-like commands.
You can have multiple tabs with a different terminal session in each tab.
Enabling MobAgent to store your private key
In order to log in to a remote host (e.g. a jasmin host) you need to present your private key from where it's stored on your local machine. MobaXterm provides MobAgent which can store your key for the time you are running MobaXterm, and can then present the key for you, for any session in any tab, so you don't have to enter your passphrase for each new window/tab you open.
To use this, you need to enable MobAgent in MobaXterm's Settings / Configuration / SSH:
To do this:
- "Default login" should be your own username on JASMIN (replacing the text
usernamein the above example).
- Tick "Use internal SSH agent "MobAgent"
- UN-tick "Use external Pageant"
- Tick "Forward SSH agents" ***IMPORTANT***
- Click the "+" symbol to locate your private key file (e.g. id_rsa_jasmin)
- Click OK to save the settings. MobaXterm will now need to restart.
- When you restart MobaXterm you will be prompted for the passphrase associated with your private key.
Once MobaXterm has started, you can now start a local terminal as before, but can confirm that your key is loaded with the command below:
You should see something similar to the output below.
2048 SHA256:iqZ3NkPCpschVdqPxVde/uvap2aM0mXaAYYcdzBGPaI Imported-Openssh-Key: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\MobaXterm\home\id_rsa_jasmin (RSA)
If so, then your key is loaded and you should be able to issue a login command without being prompted for your passphrase again. If you don't see your key listed in output similar to the above, please try again: perhaps you entered the wrong passphrase? But you will need to succeed in loading your key before you can connect to a remote host.
If you choose not to use MobAgent to load your key, you'll need to do the following in each new tab or window:
eval $(ssh-agent -s) ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa_jasmin
and remember the
-A flag on the initial SSH login command.
MobaXterm is a comprehensive application that enables many useful features such as:
- Saved session configurations
- SSH agent forwarding
- SFTP access (with graphical drag-n-drop)
- Split-tab mode
- SSH tunnelling
- Basic Linux commands such as:
cd, ls, pwd, cat
- Command-line transfer utilities:
scp, rsync, wget
Please see the MobaXterm documentation for details on these.